Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Fairy Godmother Department

We always wonder why we are not showered with good things when we start to consciously practice being the best person we can be. While the things we need are drawn to us exactly when we need them, other things we expect do not materialize. If, for instance, our motive for pursuing the Path is to win the lottery, your chances for success are slim. If you need to make next month's rent, the means will be provided.

When asking for help, we must remember to clearly ask for what we actually need and trust that it will be provided, probably in a way that seems least likely. Do not tell the Creator how to look after us, simply trust that we will be looked after.

I have always explained this phenomena a bit of tongue in cheek, by explaining that the Fairy Godmother Department is staffed only by one little old lady in a rocking chair, knitting on her knee, kitten at her feet. She reviews the requests as quickly as she can, granting those that are legitimate, but the backlog is very large.

On the other hand, everyone wants to work in the Practical Joke Department, and many of them have a very strange sense of humor. Most gift refusals are channeled through them. Knowing this, it is probably a very good idea to really consider what we ask for before actually asking.

I have recently had experience with both departments. Twice last week, my heart was artificially stopped and restarted in an attempt to return it to it's proper rhythm, the second time was successful. I can not pretend that I was not a little bit afraid, afraid of more pain, afraid of more suffering, but not afraid of passing over the final threshold in this life. I have stood on this particular threshold many times in the past, only to turn back and stay a while longer. I am not finished with this life, or at least it is not finished with me. Nor is the Practical Joke Department finished with me. Early morning on Christmas eve and my blood pressure was 205/109 with a pulse rate of 79, but it was steady and consistent, no flutter, so I got to go home in the afternoon. It was a reminder to slow down, take it easy and carefully as I start to regain my strength and resume my life.

Needless to say, preparations for Christmas were stopped in their tracks, no gifts bought or made and wrapped, no decorations up, very little special baking done............yet it was one of the best Christmases ever. My family's' only wish was that I would be home for Christmas, and I made it home just in time to curl up under the tree for Christmas morning. My very first experience at being a gift.

We never know how much we are loved until there is a danger of being lost. My family, both blood and chosen, dropped everything to come and see me even though it was hard to do. The love that surrounds me sustains me.

My wish for everyone is to experience such love, and to recognize it when it is there. Do not let the sun go down on a quarrel, do not forget to tell those you love, just how important they are to you. The most powerful force in the universe is love, but it is easy to forget to show that love each and every day.


When I leave this world, I would like to work in the Fairy Godmother Department.

4 comments:

George Breed said...

Z, you already work there so it will merely be a continuation. You give a great gift, the gift of you. And I'm sure the laughing Jokester comes with the package.

So very pleased you got home and curled beneath the tree. Blessings to you , Good Sister! And blessings to family!

Red Bark said...

Hello Zareba,

That is the way seems to me as well. Sometimes I feel that what I am given is actually better than what I would have asked for.

Thanks for the post. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Zareba said...

Thank you George, and for the blessings too. May your life be as blessed as mine has been. To love and be loved, to make a little difference in the world around us. True blessings, these.

...Z

Zareba said...

Be Now, at the beginning of my conscious Journey, I believed that I needed to ask for what I need or want, and even had the termity to instruct the Creator as to how to grant my desires. As I stravelled farther, I realized that it is proper to leave the means of fulfilling one's needs up to the Creator. At this point in my life, I simply do the work as best I can and leave the rest all up to the Creator.

It has worked very well so far. My old heart is pumping in rhythm again, I have been gifted with a lap top so that I can write wherever I am. I am surrounded by such love that I am almost embarrased by my riches.

I wish you the joys of the season all year long.

...Z