Saturday, August 25, 2007

Forty Years of Meditation


In my twenties, I encountered the Maharishi Mahesh Yoga and learned Transcendental Meditation (TM) techniques. After using these techniques for a period of time, I finally started to see the questions I must ask in order to start to find my answers. I did not stay with the group, but will be eternally grateful for them having taught me the rudiments of meditation. I was finally on my way, a foot on the path so to speak. Meditation became a first thing in the morning and last thing at night routine, twenty minutes each.

A book called How To Meditate gave me many more meditation techniques, allowing me to reach even farther into my sub-conscious and access long ago memories that I did not even know I had. The Bhagavad-Gita added to my knowledge of techniques. As time went on I found many methods of meditating and each led to new discoveries.

Anyone who meditates regularly will agree that not every meditation results in a spiritual experience, but the regular practice results in allowing one to attain the focused, meditative state almost instantly. That skill has helped me to do things I could not otherwise have done. There have been other experiences during meditation, some I remembered, others were more of a blank, but I would return in a state of elated calm that would last for the rest of the day.

The first time I consciously experienced my connection to All That Is, I wept. I was coming home! I had no words to express my experience, and even now, so many years later, I do not have adequate words. When you have such an experience, you will have no doubts as to what it was even though you cannot describe it. Our computer brains do not have the basic programming to allow such descriptions. We spend a lifetime filling this computer with knowledge and it still is not enough.

2 comments:

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Great stuff. Glad you're doing this stuff.

Zareba said...

Thank you, Don. Over the years, I have taught many things, Meditation 101 was not one of them. The feedback I get here lets me know if I am being successful.