Thursday, February 07, 2008

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi


Maharishi Mahesh Yogi left his body behind on Tuesday February 5th, 2008. He was 91 years old and had lived a very full life.

Although I had not thought of him for a long time, I do owe him a debt of gratitude. Many years ago when I was in my early twenties, he was active in Toronto, teaching about the benefits of meditation and a specific method that would bring results fairly quickly if one practiced it for twenty minutes twice a day. I was intrigued because I had a stressful life as well as a stressful career at that time. I was also hosting a very large stomach ulcer. I attended the lecture then received my individual meditation instructions. There was a follow-up a few weeks later to check and make sure the instructions were being followed. This was my introduction to meditation and it's benefits.
Although I did not follow his Path, it is because of him that I found my own Path.
Much has happened since then, but meditation carried me through the ups and downs in my life and kept me on my Path when I would have given up. I have learned a great deal, found out I know even less and kept my feet firmly planted most of the time.
...Z

10 comments:

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

I saw this as well. Brought back some old memories. Images of the Beatles and so much more. Hope you're well, Z.

Sophia said...

I feel thankful to the person that opened up my spirituality, too. Sometimes I wish I could thank them.

I wish I could get motivated to meditate like you and others who seem to find so much benefit from it. When I meditated earlier last year and before, I was only thrill seeking, looking for visions and exciting experiences. Sometime I need to just meditate for the experience of meditation alone.

Margie said...

He did live a very long and full life!
Gratitude is good and good to give to those that have shown us a path to follow!
Mediation is a part of my everday routine.

Blessings to you, my friend!

Margie

Zareba said...

Hi Don. I had not thought about him in years either. The last I had heard, his disciples were levitating for peace in an auditorium somewhere..although they admitted they were not truly levitating yet, just bumping across the floor.

He was a good man with an honest message, but like all humanity, the perfect light shines through imperfect glass, and is viewed by imperfect eyes.

Zareba said...

Hi Sophia, I hope you are finding your truths at a pace you can absorb them. As far as meditating is concerned, one needs motivation in the beginning.

If we are seated comfortably in front of the TV with a snack, it is hard to get motivated to walk for half an hour a day. . Perhaps we need to want the results that the exercise brings more than we want to lounge in comfort.. Another typical human characteristic. We all do it.

Those I have known to meditate regularly, were all looking for something more than they already had, as was I. I wanted to reduce stress and heal a very painful ulcer. The results were so far beyond what I hoped for that I willingly continued on my spiritual Journey.

May your path find you, dear one.
4:42 PM

Zareba said...

Hi again, Margie. Glad to see you here. I am sure you know trhe benefits of meditation.

May you find the joy in each day.

...Z

Anonymous said...

Some people take up yoga in hopes of experiencing things they don't yet know. Other people embrace meditation as a means to reconnect with themselves, to what they already sense deep inside, but realize they have just temporarily forgotten.

Zareba said...

Hi Liara:

Yes, truth is inside us all. In the midst of our busy lives, we forget how to get there. When we can still the mind, the truths can come forth.

Welcome!

...Z

Jim said...

Meditation gives me immense pleasure and insights, during and after. I would not replace it with anything. Mine is selfsyled after much understanding thru other teachings and methods, Maharishi was the earliest I had, thru a friend who still uses his methods today, 40 years later.

I hadn't heard of his passing, thanks Zareba for the post.

Zareba said...

I think we all tailor our meditations to our own needs once we understand the process and are comfortable with both process and results.

Although it is one of the easiest practices there is, it does require some dedication and perseverance in order to make it become a habit.