Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Sister

For the first nine years of life I did not have a sister.
I didn't know I needed one!
Then you came along, all pink, spun gold and blue eyed,
and suddenly I had a sister!
You made me laugh, you made me cry, you even bit me,
and made me carry you when you got tired.
You kept growing and even after I left home
I still had a sister!
You came to visit me and I loved to show you around and show you off,
my sister!
I moved to the other side of the country and went home
to visit my sister!
For years I lost my sister, I didn't have a sister.
I knew I needed one!
Then, when I was at death's door, my daughter took it on herself
to bring me back my sister!
Finally, looking at the cards and gifts she sent me, signed
with love from my sister.
Seeing the ornaments that decorate each gift, like we used to do,
again I have my sister.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Thank you for this beautiful poem!
It is so very touching!
It must be so wonderful...
to have your sister in your life again!

Wishing you many blessings during the Holiday season!

Margie

Zareba said...

It is. For over 20 years she was not in my life, then in May, due to my daughter's actions, she was back in my life, but I could not let myself believe it until now. What a wonderful gift it is to have her back.

Wishing you a wonderful Holiday Season and a New Year filled with joy and sunshine. ...Z