Sunday, September 07, 2008

The Time Has Come

the walrus said
To speak of many things
Of aging and of moving
Of cabbages and kings.

It is a difficult thing that we must do. After 22 years here, it is time to move on. We believed we would end our days here, but life has other plans. We need to downsize and take our Time Warp to a spot easier to look after, single story, only a couple of acres, but still in this general community.
The house is too big to look after and the landscaping that I put 20 years into is looking forlorn. It needs younger blood to take up the torch and work along side Gaia to continue making it beautiful. As hard as it will be to leave, it would be harder to watch the degeneration of what we have worked for.

When we moved here from the city in 1986, I was able to bring a little of most of the plantings I had there. They mean so much to me because it is a friendship garden and many of the plants came from friends who are no longer here. When I look around I remember the giver as well as enjoying the tangled garden. My young neighbor across the street will keep and care for whatever small bits I can take from here, until I have a place to plant them.

I know how blessed I am. I know that this is just a transitional state, and that all will be well again. I believe we all pass through various emotions when we have big changes in our lives. I share mine so that others need not go through the same thing believing that they are alone. Time passes, things change, we cling then we let go.

Our refuge, The Time Warp will move with us. It belongs to us, not a specific place. A young friend named it The Time Warp long ago because she checked her worries at the end of the driveway and felt renewed by the time she picked them up again on her way out.

Everything that can bloom, has done so this summer. Mother Nature has thrown me a farewell party beyond compare. It has been a magical summer in so many ways, but as with everything we treasure, it costs. The head knows there is nothing to struggle with, but sometimes it takes a while for the heart to catch up. My heart hurts! but I will be OK.

I would like to share some of that farewell party here.

No comments: