Friday, March 28, 2008

My Own Path

Some have asked where I come from and how I got here, so here is a little about my early years and my search for my path.
Each of us has a unique path to follow, individual goals to achieve, a Journey similar to, but different from all others. We begin in different places. We have different questions to ask and answers to find. We may search in the company of others with similar goals or we may find ourselves in situations where we must walk a solitary path. At different times we may experience both companionship and solitude.

As a child, I felt isolated, different, lost even. If it had not been for my grandparents great goodness and integrity, I doubt that my Path would have found me in this lifetime. I had half-formed memories, feelings of something missing in my life. They provided me with a safe framework within which I could search for meaning in my life.

In my teens, I began searching in earnest, reading the Christian Bible from cover to cover, the Book of Mormon, the Koran, Buddhist, Hindu and Taoist texts, the Teachings of Don Juan and many others followed, but I was not finding my answers because I still did not know the right questions to ask.

In my early twenties, I met the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and learned the Transcendentalist form of Meditation. I was off and running. Again it was not the answer I was seeking, but it gave me a tool to use as a light to seek both inwardly and outwardly. I did not stay with the group, but I am eternally grateful for that chance encounter. It taught me that so many answers are already inside us, waiting to be rediscovered.

I think it was then that I picked up my candle and mirror and began my Journey in earnest. The candle to light my feet over the more treacherous passages on the path and the mirror to reflect back the truths that are already inside all of us. We know when we have found a truth because it resonates within us with such a surety that we cannot doubt its veracity.

A full life with a partner, children and a career did not allow a great deal of time for this but meditation became a first thing in the morning and last thing at night routine. I methodically began reading the holy literature from other cultures and other religions. I came to the Native American Tradition because of a mirror meditation that put me face to face with an ancient Medicine Man, who somehow was also me. A friend from India made me interested in the Hindu faith. A set of books on the world's great religions gave me even more jumping off places. A local branch of Tibetan Buddhism sent me on a search through the Buddhist literature and an ad in a magazine sent me to investigate the Rosicrucians.

In each and every one, I found something that spoke to me, often only a small message, and sometimes almost a coming home but none satisfied all of my questions and needs, so I ended up being a solitary seeker on the road to enlightenment. I have met many on paths similar to mine that kept me from being too lonely. Each seeker I meet teaches me something. I hope that I have been able to contribute to their paths as well.

3 comments:

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Nice to know of your own path! Thank you.

Zareba said...

Thanks Swahilya. I sometimes forget that there are those who like to know some background.

I will post the second half of My Own Path, which brings me up to date, I think.

May peace and joy find you each day.

...Z

Anonymous said...

What's up to all, since I am actually keen of reading this weblog's post
to be updated regularly. It contains nice material.


my page - usb digital input module - ,